Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Holy Toledo!

I was a little skeptical about getting up at 4:30 to ski this morning. Reports were that there was only 4 inches or so of new, and 4:30 is really early. But not having ridden my bike in a couple weeks, I need all the exercise I can get, so I met Dug, Ben, Tyler, and Nate at the mouth of LCC at 5:30. Turns out I was glad I did.

Without the rest of the BD crew in tow, Ben took it a little easier on us as we skinned up the hill. We started from Our Lady of Snows, went up Toledo Bowl, then dropped in and did one shot on Holy Toledo (backside of Toledo Bowl). I've never skied that line before, but I will absolutely ski it again. The snow was great, and I absolutely loved the terrain.

After skinning back to the ridge, we dropped back down the south facing side to the car and were rewarded with good snow there, too. Sugary in consistency, but reasonably light and fun.

2500 vertical feet of skiing, a grin I can't wipe off my face, a great morning workout, and I still made it to my desk by 9:30. I love Utah.

5 comments:

  1. amen. and amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys talking about AT skiing is getting me interested. Coughing up the $$$ for the gear is an issue. What about avalanches?

    ReplyDelete
  3. KK, the gear, amortized over the number of lift tickets you don't buy as a result of earning your turns, works out to be pretty cheap. You'd break even in the first season.

    Avalanches, well they're an issue. You just have to be smart and not go when conditions are bad and make good decisions the rest of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making me want to get off my butt. Of course, that would take energy, so...

    ReplyDelete